Did you know that the City of Largo averages 246 sunny days per year? Our sunny climate means plenty of time outdoors enjoying Largo's award-winning parks, nature and green spaces. It also means sun safety is important. Before you head out today, be sure to stay sun-safe with the following tips.
Stay Sun-Safe Outdoors
- Seek shade, especially during midday hours. This includes 10am to 4 pm, March through October, and 9am to 3pm, November through February. Umbrellas, trees, or other shelters can provide relief from the sun.
- Be extra careful around surfaces that reflect the sun’s rays, like snow, sand, water, and concrete.
- Wear sun protection gear like a hat with a wide brim and sunglasses to protect your face and eyes.
- Sunglasses protect your eyes from UV rays and reduce the risk of cataracts and other eye problems. Wrap-around sunglasses that block both UVA and UVB rays offer the best protection by blocking UV rays from the side.
- Wear a long-sleeved shirt and pants or a long skirt for additional protection when possible. If that’s not practical, try wearing a T-shirt or a beach cover-up.
- Apply a thick layer of broad spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher at least 15 minutes before going outside, even on cloudy or overcast days. Reapply sunscreen at least every 2 hours and after swimming, sweating, or toweling off.