Commissioner John Carroll was born in Oswego, New York. He graduated from Largo High School and Eckerd College with a BA in Business Administration. Commissioner Carroll enlisted in the United States Army in 1976 where he served as a member of the Military Police Corps in the Federal Republic of Germany, and was honorably discharged in 1980.
He then joined the Largo Police Department in 1980 and during his career, served as a patrol officer, field training officer, SWAT Team member, and crimes against persons detective. He was assigned as an acting sergeant in 1992, promoted to lieutenant in 1994, and captain in 1997. Chief Carroll also served as a Patrol Shift Commander, SWAT Commander, Investigative Services Commander, Patrol Division Commander, and Administrative Services Commander. In 2002, he was promoted to Deputy Chief, and in 2010, he was appointed Chief of Police. Commissioner Carroll retired after over 33 years of dedicated service.
Commissioner Carroll was elected for the first time on the City Commission for a four-year term in 2014 and re-elected in 2018. He was appointed to serve as Vice Mayor for the period of 2018-19.
He has a wife, Linda and a son and daughter.
- Life Member: International Association of Chiefs of Police (I.A.C.P.)
- Life Member: Tampa Bay Area Chiefs of Police (TBACP)
- Board Member: Republican Club of Greater Largo (2017-2019)
- Member: FBI National Academy Associates
- Member: Largo Area Historical Society
- Member: American Legion
- Member: Florida Police Chiefs Association (FPCA)
- Florida League of Cities
- Nominating Committee Member (2018)
- Finance, Taxation and Personnel Policy Committee
- Home Rule HERO (2018)
- Board of Directors (2018)
- Suncoast League of Cities Board of Directors
- President (2019-2020)
- 3rd Vice President (2017-2018)
- 1st Vice President (2018-2019)
- Past Chairman: Largo Police/Fire Pension Board
- Past Chairman: Pinellas Police Standards Council