Businesses small and large with sustainability efforts are proven to be more successful because they demonstrate a focus on economic, environmental and social systems. These pillars of sustainable business are also known as people, planet and profit. Sustainable businesses stand out and outperform their peers. As your partners in building our community, the City of Largo is dedicated to helping you reach your goals.
Sustainability is one of three primary focus areas of the City of Largo’s Strategic Plan, which serves as the blueprint for City operations and helps move us towards our vision of being the Community of Choice in Tampa Bay.
Our Future Largo
- Reduce waste by reusing and recycling materials
- Request a free business energy and water audit
- Track and reduce your carbon footprint or greenhouse gas emissions
- Give back to the community through volunteering or other support
- Create transparency in your supply chain and use sustainable materials
- Celebrate diversity and inclusion in the workplace and supply chain
- Provide plant-centric and healthy snacks and meals
- Ensure employee health and success
- Reduce transportation impacts of your goods or services
- Incorporate sustainability into your governance and structure
- Create a Sustainability or Corporate Social Responsibility Plan
- Purchase items in bulk when feasible
- Source products and services locally
- Engage with your stakeholders frequently
Volunteer in your community
Volunteering as part of your organization can do more than make you feel good, it can help strengthen your company. Improving culture improves employee attraction and retention while serving your community. Looking for an organization to volunteer with? Contact Connect@Largo.com or Keep Pinellas Beautiful at KPBCares.org.
Boost staff morale
Staff engagement is key to increasing sustainability efforts. Consider establishing a Sustainability Team or Special Project Team to help with special projects. Want to learn more? Contact Sustainability@Largo.com.
Create a strong sustainability plan
Nearly 70% of millennials say having a strong Corporate Social Responsibility or Sustainability Plan increases their likelihood of staying with and organization.
- Reducing waste: Try the free and discounted business item exchange at WasteXchange.org
- Recycle: To start a recycling program or for questions on what is recyclable visit LargoRecycles.com
- Free Cutting Waste at Work Program at PinellasCounty.org/SolidWaste/cut-waste-at-work
- Get a free energy audit and info on rebate incentives at Duke-Energy.com/Business
- Connect with the Suncoast Sierra Club for more info about financial and environmental savings with renewable energy at Info@SuncoastSierra.org
- Get tips on how to lower your utility bill and save water at PinellasCounty.org/Utilities or call 727-464-4000
- Pinellas County Extension Sustainable Living Team can connect you and your employees with resources to support your triple bottom line at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Don't forget to protect Largo’s waterways by letting Only Rain Down the Drain!
- Get Ocean-Friendly certified by swapping out single-use plastics at your salon, office, restaurant or more. Learn more at Largo.com/PlasticFree
- Explore local resources to strengthen your business and bottom line with Largo’s Business Services at Largo.com/Business
- The Central Pinellas Chamber of Commerce is another great way to empower your business, visit them at Info@CentralChamber.biz
- An organization’s supply chain and purchasing policy greatly impact the bottom line
- Access to free business assistance and mentorship is available through the Pinellas County SCORE program at Pinellas.County@ScoreVolunteer.org
- 86% of consumers want businesses to support social and environmental issues*
- 66% would spend more on a sustainable product*