Would you like know more about the improvements coming to West Bay Drive? Read on for how the City of Largo is revitalizing the downtown corridor and share your thoughts.
The westbound outside lane of West Bay Drive from Missouri Avenue to Clearwater-Largo Road will experience sustained closure for five months according to contract schedule, to March 2020. The contractor is working diligently, however, to complete work much sooner than the contract time. While the contractor will make every effort to keep the outside lane open when possible, motorists should assume the lane will be closed when planning westbound travel on West Bay Drive in this segment.
Please review alternate routes to 8th Avenue SE/SW and Ulmerton Road.
- Turn left (south) onto Central Park Drive
- After 0.6 mile, turn right (west) onto 8th Avenue SE
- After 0.8 mile, turn right (north) onto Clearwater-Largo Road
- After 0.5 mile, turn left (west) onto West Bay Drive
- Turn left (south) onto Starkey Road
- After 1.5 miles, turn right (west) onto Ulmerton Road
- After 2 miles, turn right (north) onto Ridge Road SW
- After 1.5 miles, turn left (west) onto West Bay Drive
- From Clearwater-Largo Road, drive west 0.8 mile
- Turn right (north) on 20th St SW
- After 0.5 mile, turn left (west) on West Bay Drive
David Nelson Construction removed approximately 50% of the sidewalk on the north side of West Bay Dr in the 100 to 400 block. Nelson's crews removed the light poles on the north side of West Bay Dr from Missouri Ave to Clearwater-Largo Rd.
Week 2 Look Ahead
Nelson Construction will complete removal of the sidewalk in the 100 to 400 block. The light pole bases in the 100 to 400 block will be removed and conduit replaced per plans. Concrete pour in the 100 to 400 block is not likely in week 2. Nelson's crews may begin sidewalk removal west of 4th St W.
WHAT WILL YOU SEE?
The new features are based on Largo's commitment to creating an active and connected Downtown as part of the Strategic Plan focus on Community Pride. The improvements include:
- Reconstructing the cracked and aging sidewalks from Missouri Avenue/Seminole Blvd to Clearwater-Largo Road
- Replacing the aging and inefficient existing lighting with modern, energy-efficient, pedestrian-friendly LED lighting
- Installing updated benches, bike racks, and bus shelters
- Constructing two new ways to safely cross West Bay Drive with mid-block crossings, pedestrian-activated flashing beacons, and high visibility crosswalks west of 2nd Street and west of 5th Street
- Milling, resurfacing, and re-striping of the asphalt surface to improve the look and feel of West Bay Drive from Missouri Avenue/Seminole Blvd to Clearwater-Largo Road and improving the diagonal parking lots from 4th Street SW to Ridge Road
WHEN WILL THE PROJECT START?
The construction work is planned to start in Fall 2019 and will complement other enhancements to the City’s Downtown including:
- The new Downtown Plaza, which will be a gateway park on the southwest corner of West Bay Drive and Seminole Blvd/Missouri Avenue
- The West Bay Lofts mixed-use development at the 500 and 600 blocks
- The new townhome community on the south side of West Bay Drive and Ridge Road
- Construction of a new Trailhead at West Bay Drive and the Pinellas Trail
- Ridge Road to Clearwater/Largo Road along West Bay Drive
- West Bay Drive & 6th Street Intersection
- 5th Street SW & 5th Street NW
- West Bay Drive & 4th Street Intersection
- 3rd Street NW Area
- 2nd Street SW Area
- Railroad Crossing at West Bay Drive