Would you like know more about the improvements coming to West Bay Drive? Read on for how the City of Largo is revitalizing the downtown corridor and share your thoughts.
WEST BAY DRIVE RESURFACING
Night time mill and resurface of West Bay Drive from Clearwater-Largo Road to Missouri Avenue is scheduled to begin Tuesday or Wednesday evening (May 12 or 13) depending on paving crew availability, and will continue for two weeks. Operations will be from 7 pm to 7 am Sunday night through Thursday night, weather permitting. One lane will remain open in each direction during mill and resurface operations.
WEST BAY DRIVE LANE CLOSURE PATTERN
Sidewalk construction will shift from the north side to the south side of West Bay Drive beginning with the new year. Nelson Construction expects the shift to begin Monday, January 13, 2020, barring the unexpected. By contract schedule, the outside eastbound lane will experience sustained closure for five months, to May 2020. Although sidewalk construction on the north side will take less than two and a half months to complete, motorists should conservatively assume sidewalk construction on the south side of West Bay Drive will be for the contract length of five months. Motorists from points west such as Indian Rocks Road and the beach communities will experience delays traveling eastbound. Consider alternate routes such as 8th Avenue SW or Ulmerton Road or plan for a longer commute time.
Please review alternate routes to 8th Avenue SE/SW and Ulmerton Road.
- Turn right (south) on 20th St SW
- After 0.5 mile, turn left (east) on 8th Ave SW
- From 20th St SW, drive east 1.6 miles
- Turn left (north) on Central Park Drive, just after the railroad tracks
- After 0.6 mile, turn right onto East Bay Drive
- Turn right (south) onto Clearwater-Largo Road
- After 1.5 miles, turn left (east) onto Ulmerton Road
- After 2 miles, turn left (north) onto Starkey Road
- After 1.5 miles, turn right (east) onto East Bay Drive
WHAT WILL YOU SEE?
The new features are based on Largo's commitment to creating an active and connected Downtown as part of the Strategic Plan focus on Community Pride. The improvements include:
- Reconstructing the cracked and aging sidewalks from Missouri Avenue/Seminole Blvd to Clearwater-Largo Road
- Replacing the aging and inefficient existing lighting with modern, energy-efficient, pedestrian-friendly LED lighting
- Installing updated benches, bike racks, and bus shelters
- Constructing two new ways to safely cross West Bay Drive with mid-block crossings, pedestrian-activated flashing beacons, and high visibility crosswalks west of 2nd Street and west of 5th Street
- Milling, resurfacing, and re-striping of the asphalt surface to improve the look and feel of West Bay Drive from Missouri Avenue/Seminole Blvd to Clearwater-Largo Road and improving the diagonal parking lots from 4th Street SW to Ridge Road
WHEN WILL THE PROJECT START?
The construction work started in Fall 2019 and will complement other enhancements to the City’s Downtown including:
- The new Downtown Plaza, which will be a gateway park on the southwest corner of West Bay Drive and Seminole Blvd/Missouri Avenue
- The West Bay Lofts mixed-use development at the 500 and 600 blocks
- The new townhome community on the south side of West Bay Drive and Ridge Road
- Construction of a new Trailhead at West Bay Drive and the Pinellas Trail
- Ridge Road to Clearwater/Largo Road along West Bay Drive
- West Bay Drive & 6th Street Intersection
- 5th Street SW & 5th Street NW
- West Bay Drive & 4th Street Intersection
- 3rd Street NW Area
- 2nd Street SW Area
- Railroad Crossing at West Bay Drive