Homeless Outreach Team
To address homelessness in our community, the Largo Police Department formed a Homeless Outreach Team that positions designated officers, working directly with social service professionals, to focus specifically on supporting people experiencing homelessness by connecting them to services whenever possible. Largo's Homeless Outreach Team is supported by a multi-department Advisory Committee that includes Parks, Library, Housing, Administration, Fire Rescue, Public Works, and Community Standards, ensuring that efforts have City-wide support. The Advisory Committee’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborative outreach efforts
- Protocol for staff interactions with people with experiencing homelessness
- Directing individuals to the homeless outreach team for support
- Working with businesses and residents to prevent and address homelessness concerns
- Informing resource use and support efforts through data tracking
- Priority focus is assisting chronic and/or highly vulnerable Largo residents experiencing homelessness.
- Service-first approach is focused on connecting these residents to resources, shelter and permanent housing.
- Alignment with strategic goal to promote public health and safety, including overall community safety, and the health and safety of those experiencing homelessness.
- The following community organizations offer volunteer and donation opportunities: Homeless Leadership Alliance, Feeding Tampa Bay, Pinellas Hope, and Pinellas Community Foundation (Needed Now Fund)
MEET THE TEAM
Ofc. Stephen Malandro
Growing up in the Tampa Bay area, Officer Malandro received his Bachelor's Degree from Eckerd College. Since becoming an Officer at the Largo Police Department four years ago, Officer Malandro has become a member of the Tactical Apprehension and Control (TAC) Team and recently taken over as the Homeless Outreach Liaison for the Problem Oriented Policing Unit. As the Homeless Outreach Liaison, Officer Malandro is able to provide resources to individuals experiencing homelessness that address basic needs and support pathways to housing. The position requires close collaboration with neighboring organizations to provide shelter and other critical services that work toward ending homelessness in the City of Largo. Officer Malandro looks forward to working in this rewarding position and assisting those in need within the community.
Todd is the City’s Homeless Outreach Specialist and serves as the connector for people experiencing homelessness in Largo to get into shelter, substance abuse treatment, and reunify with family for permanent housing. Todd has worked in a variety of correctional and social service settings over the past 23 years. These range from adult/youth correctional facilities, children’s mental health treatment agencies, and community outreach and housing support. His approach to assisting people experiencing homelessness is to provide connection to resources using an individualized approach and community collaboration that focuses on each individuals’ strengths while demonstrating empathy and compassion for past experiences each client may have faced that led them to their current situation. Todd strives to build a level of empowerment which can change the way individuals live their lives and in turn become more independent in all aspects of their lives.