Frequently Asked Questions

Below you can find a list of frequently asked questions. For more assistance, please contact Community Standards at 727-587-6799.


How tall can my grass grow before it would be a violation?
All overgrowth of grass, weeds, uncultivated vegetation in excess of twelve inches, over a discernible portion of the property, would be considered a violation.
Can I keep a vehicle that is inoperable or unlicensed?
You may have vehicles that are inoperable or unlicensed inside a fully enclosed structure such as a garage. All other vehicles to include trailers, boats, must have a valid tag on them and be fully operable to remain on any residential property in the city.
Can my neighbor store piles of junk, boxes and totes outside?
Outside storage of junk, indoor furniture, trash, totes, boxes, car parts, dismantled machinery etc. may be NOT be stored outside on any residential property and on most commercial properties.
Can I park or store a commercial vehicle or trailer at my house?
Yes, you may store the commercial vehicle, or trailer at your residential property (single-family, duplex and triplex properties) if the vehicle is under 11,000 lbs., operable with a valid tag, and parked off the frontal setback 20 feet from the right of way in front of your home. No commercial vehicles may be parked on city streets or right of ways unless the vehicle is being used on a professional job in the daily course of business. No semi tractors or trailers are allowed to be parked or stored on any residential property. If your home is in a complex of four units or more, the vehicle or trailer can be stored on the property as long as it is stored out of the right of way. 
Can my neighbor run a business from their home?
Yes. They can obtain a "Home Office of Convenience" Business Tax Receipt for certain types of businesses. However, no inventory, supplies, activities or signage for the business may be visible from the roadway or surrounding properties.
Can I park or store my boat or personal watercraft on my property?
Yes, however, the boat or personal watercraft and any associated trailer, must be off of the frontal setback at least 20 feet, and must remain operable and fully licensed with all current tags.
Can I post signs on utility poles or in the right of ways?
No signs may not be placed in the right of way, medians or on utility poles at anytime. Unfortunately, these signs are often not removed and can be a safety hazard due to visibility concerns. 
Can I make repairs to my vehicle on my property?
Yes, you can make minor vehicle repairs such as changing the spark plugs, tire changes or oil changes. You can not do major repairs like dropping the transmission, engine, removing body parts unless it is done inside a fully enclosed garage or structure.
What do I do about noise coming from a business or neighboring residence?
Community Standards Officers can respond during regular business hours and take noise readings to see if it is a violation. Other than Monday through Friday 7:30am - 4pm you would need to contact the non emergency number for the Largo Police Department 727-587-6730 and they will respond to the complaint. This would include barking dogs, roosters, loud machinery, and loud music. 
Where can I sell my vehicle in Largo?
You may sell your vehicle only on the property that is listed on the vehicle's registration or at a fully licensed car lot. This is to keep the street corners and parking lots from becoming an eyesore with a multitude of vehicles for sale.
My neighbor leaves their trash can at the curb all week. Is this a violation?
Yes, the trash container must be placed at the curb no earlier than 7pm the evening before  trash pickup and must be brought back to the side of the house or inside the garage or carport by 7pm the day of trash pick up. This does not include bulk waste placed at the curb for removal.
How do I report an abandoned, vacant, derelict and blighted residential property?

The City of Largo needs your help! The Community Standards Division is asking our residents to let us know about abandoned, vacant, derelict and blighted residential properties in the City that may have the following violations:

  • Properties left in a poor or unsafe condition and/or disrepair
  • Grass is too high
  • Pool unclean and harboring mosquitoes
  • Broken or collapsing fences

Please complete this form if you know of a residential property in your neighborhood that may have any of these violations.

When reporting a derelict property we ask that you provide answers to the following questions about the abandoned, derelict, vacant or blighted property.

  • Address or location of house in question?
  • Condition of the house and property? (grass, pool, fence, structure, etc.)
  • How long has the property been vacant?
  • Does the house have a pool?
  • Can we view the property or violations from yours or a neighboring property?
  • Do you have contact information for the former tenants?
  • Your name and address are required to report a derelict property.
How do I watch a live or previous Community Standards Board Meeting?
You can watch live and previous Community Standards Board meetings on desktop and portable devices by visiting
What is a Special Magistrate?
The Special Magistrate is similar to the Code Enforcement Board, but applies to commercial code violations and unauthorized work without permits. The Special Magistrate was established as an additional means to resolve City code issues that could not be resolved administratively. Cases are heard by a single individual, called a Special Magistrate. The Special Magistrate operates in accordance with Chapter 162, Florida Statutes, and is appointed by the City Commission as an independent reviewer of code violation cases. The Special Magistrate meets monthly to conduct hearings and is authorized to levy fines if needed for violations of City codes.
What is the Code Enforcement Board?
The Code Enforcement Board consists of seven volunteer residents of the City. Their purpose is to conduct monthly hearings relating to violations of City Code. The Code Enforcement Board hears cases related to residential properties or Special Magistrate conflict cases. The Code Enforcement Board operates in accordance with Chapter 162, Florida Statutes, and is authorized to levy fines if needed for violations of City Code. 

Population Size


Largest City in Tampa Bay

Acres of Park Land


Largo Businesses