|Volunteer Mission Statement
To assist the Largo Recreation, Parks and Arts staff by providing the services needed to offer quality programs and facilities and to enrich the lives of the volunteers through active engagement in their community.
The City of Largo Recreation, Parks and Arts Volunteer program has over 800 registered volunteers performing over 120 different jobs. The program has helped the nationally accredited Recreation, Parks and Arts Department to be recognized as one of the best in Florida and the United States and it is this wonderful volunteer service which helps make Largo one of the top places to live.
Volunteer positions are divided into two divisions:
* Volunteers in Recreation and Parks
* Cultural Center Volunteers (VITAL - Volunteers in the Arts of Largo)
Volunteers in Recreation and Parks provide services to the following City facilities and programs:
- Highland Family Aquatic Center
- Highland Recreation Complex
- Largo Central Park
- Largo Community Center
- Largo Golf Course
- Largo Nature Parks/Centers
- Largo Parks Division
- Southwest Pool
- Southwest Recreation Complex
- Special Events
- Volunteer Groups, Clubs and Boards
VITAL Volunteers work at the Largo Cultural Center and serve as ushers and concessions workers for shows and special events and in the office assisting with phones and reception duties.
There are several types of volunteer positions utilized throughout the City:
- General volunteers: These volunteers provide support at the various recreation centers in areas such as clerical, greeters/receptionists, kitchen crews, tour guides, etc. Many positions have a job description; however, the responsibilities of some of the positions overlap requiring volunteers to be able and interested in performing more than one task during any shift.
- Skill Bank volunteers: These volunteers assist with yearly special events like the Halloween Spooktacular, Holiday Stroll, Play Unplugged and July 4th celebrations. They may also assist with one time events at a center or park.
- Special Needs volunteers: These volunteers provide support allowing other participants to take part in an event such as signing for deaf participants.
- Community Board members: Becoming involved in a board provides the opportunity to impact the community as a whole.
- Parks volunteers: These volunteers assist with opening parks, special events, parks clean-up activities, Nature Center clerical, Nature Center animal care and education programs.
To apply to volunteer for the Recreation, Parks and Arts Department, please complete the registration form here or stop by any Largo Recreation, Parks and Arts facility to pick up your packet.